8 Essential Tips for Preparing Your House for Vacation
Are you planning a summer vacation? While it can be nice to get out of the house for a while, it’s common to worry about the safety of your home. We’ve compiled a list of tips for preparing your home for vacation that can help keep your mind at ease while you’re gone. Check them out below!
Preparing Your Home for Vacation in 8 Easy to Follow Tips
- Stop the mail: A telltale sign that someone hasn’t been home for a while is mail piling up at the door. Before you leave for your trip, it is important to either stop your mail or have a trusted friend, family member, or neighbor pick up your mail every day.
- Put your lights on a timer: The best way to deter crime is to make it look like someone is living in your home. Put at least a few lights on a timer that will randomly turn on throughout the evening.
- Use outdoor lighting: Burglars don’t like outdoor lighting, which is why it’s a great idea to take advantage of it! Motion-activated lights are a great investment, and can really help to make your homeless appealing to burglars.
- Take out the trash: The last thing you want when you get home from vacation is to walk into a home with old bags of trash that had time to rot. Before leaving on vacation, empty out all of the trash bins.
- Clear out the refrigerator: Comb through your refrigerator and pull out any items that may spoil. This will prevent any perishable items from going bad while you’re gone.
- Turn off the water: Before you leave for your trip, be sure to turn off the water. Your appliances will not need water while you are gone, and you run the risk of coming home to a leak if it is left on.
- Unplug all electronics and appliances: Take care to unplug all expensive electronics and appliances before you leave for vacation. This will not only protect your items during a storm, but it will also help to reduce energy consumption.
- Check the smoke and carbon monoxide detectors: Before you leave for vacation, check to make sure that both the smoke and carbon monoxide detectors have fresh batteries. This will help to alert someone should there be a problem while you’re gone.
Keep Your Home Organized Year Round with a Storage Unit Rental!
Are you looking for a storage solution to create more space around your home? Look no further than a storage unit with our National Storage! We have a variety of sizes of storage units available for rent including our 5×5, 5×10 and 10×10 units. Free up some space in your home, and rent a storage unit with us today!