Last Minute Shopping in Detroit
The idea of shopping local isn’t necessarily a new one, but it is an important one. Shopping at locally-owned businesses is crucial to help strengthen the local economy and build our community as a whole. Plus, most local shops offer a unique selection of items that you simply can’t find anywhere else! Independently-run businesses help shape our community’s identity and give it its distinct personality.
If you’re looking for some great last minute gift ideas this holiday season, why not head out to do some local shopping in Detroit, right here in your own backyard?
Shopping in Downtown Detroit
Shopping locally isn’t just good for the local economy, but it’s also a lot of fun! Now that we have just about a week left until Christmas, time is beginning to run out for finding that perfect gift. But don’t despair! You have several great options, right here in Detroit, with everything from Detroit or Michigan-themed clothing and accessories, to homemade goodies and crafts.
Need some gift ideas? Here’s how you can cross off everyone on your list by visiting some great local retailers when you’re out shopping in Detroit:
- For showing Detroit pride: Pure Detroit has three locations throughout the city, and they consider themselves more than just a clothing store, but a lifestyle brand. They have everything from t-shirts and hats to coffee mugs and candles to help show off your support and pride for our city.
- For the kids: The Doll Hospital and Toy Soldier Shop in Berkley is the place to go to get a broken doll fixed up good as new again, but it’s also a unique store full of game, puzzles, and quality outdoor playsets. As one of the largest independent specialty stores in the country, you’re sure to find the perfect gift for the little ones!
- For the book lover: John K. King Books in downtown Detroit is Michigan’s largest used and rare bookstore and features four floors of books of all sorts of topics. Be careful though; you could spend hours browsing the stacks in this store!
- For the foodie: Create the ultimate gift basket of local Detroit treats from retailers like Better Made Chips and Licorice, Good People Popcorn, Sander’s Fine Chocolates and Germack Nuts!
- For the creative type: The Rust Belt Market is filled with more than 50 Michigan-owned shops and is considered a hub of creativity. The vendors sell locally produced items, vintage goods, artwork and crafts.
- For the sports fan: The Detroit Athletic Co. in downtown Detroit has a full selection of apparel and collectibles for all the Tigers, Lions, Pistons and Red Wings fans in your life. You’ll find that perfect, unique gift that you can’t get anywhere else in their store!
Of course, the Detroit area also has an abundance of great malls to make your shopping trip super convenient! For instance, there’s Michigan’s most upscale mall, The Somerset Collection featuring stores like Saks Fifth Avenue, Tiffany & Co, and Neiman-Marcus, just to name a few. You can also hit Twelve Oaks in Novi for staple stores like Nordstrom, Macy’s and more. And if it’s bargains you’re looking for, Great Lakes Crossing Outlets in Auburn Hills provides a quality selection of stores, all with great prices!
As you can see, there is no shortage of ideas to get out within the next week and go shopping in Detroit for those last-minute gifts! Who knows, you might even find the perfect gift for yourself while you’re out!