How to Pick a Self Storage Unit
There are many different types of self-storage facilities in the United States, from newer state-of-the-art complexes to older drive-up only locations. How do you know which self-storage facility is the best one to serve your storage needs? When you are researching storage unit rentals there are a few things that you need to keep in mind before you rent.
How to Pick the Self Storage Unit to Fit Your Needs
1. Location-Ask yourself these questions during your search: How close are you to the storage facility? Will you need the stored items often, such as in business storage or very rarely? If you need items from the storage unit on a consistent basis, then it is more important to be closer to your storage facility.
2. What do you need to be stored?- What items you need to store plays a key role in determining your type of storage. If you are storing collectibles, antiques, electronics, paper documents or some furniture, it would be better to rent a climate-controlled storage unit. If you are storing cars, boats or RV’s, the storage facility must be able to properly fit these items.
3. Choose the right sized storage unit for your needs–Picking the right sized storage unit is also very important. If you are a business storing sample products or documents, you will not need a large storage unit. A smaller 5×5 sized unit would work the best for you. It is more cost efficient to fully pack a smaller unit than to rent a larger sized unit and waste the storage space! If you are looking for storage for large furniture or appliances, then you will need a larger storage unit.
4. Security-What type of security is offered by the storage facility? Obviously, you want to protect your stored belongings. Look for storage facilities that are well lit and gated. Is the facility in a good neighborhood? Does the facility look clean and well kept? Is there a residential manager who lives at the facility? Also, check the facility for video surveillance and digital recordings. These are extra added security for your storage units above and beyond keypad access and sturdy locks for the units. Most storage units will offer sturdy locks as part of their rental agreements.
5. Access-What are the access hours to your storage unit? Some facilities offer 24 hour access to your storage unit. Other facilities offer access for most of the day or only during office hours. Look for the storage facility that will match your availability.
6. The contract-What are your rental terms? Do you need a long term rental or month-to-month rentals? Check with the storage facility to see what they offer. Also, check your agreement for terms for delinquent payments, move in/out information.
National Storage offer self storage units of all sizes throughout Michigan and Ohio. We also offer moving and packing supplies at each of our locations. Whether you are looking for personal, business, RV, boat or car storage, National Storage have the right facility for you!